<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d13906912\x26blogName\x3dThe+TOC\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLUE\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://combatfilms.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://combatfilms.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d6934437024877699744', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Over There misses humor

I finally saw my first episodes of FX's new Iraq series Over There. In all, I give it high marks simply for being gutsy enough to tackle the issue of a war while it continues.

However, I did think that both episodes that I saw were a bit heavy, over dramatic, in dialogue, and severely lacking in the kind of humor that most 20 something's engage in--even in war--that served as a release for an obviously tense and dangerous job. After having been embedded in Iraq with both the Marines and the Army, I am convinced that soldiers are thankfully a bunch of ordinary guys and girls, a few years out of their teens, and prone to just goofing off. In that sense, I think the soldier's humor is more realistic in the documentary Gunner Palace or our own Virgin Soldiers. In one case specifically, I remember some rumor that Jennifer Lopez had been killed, by what or whom no one seemed to know, but the J Lo conversation within the unit the next few days became so funny it eclipsed talk of the war itself.

That is not to say that I didn't enjoy Over There, and in fact, I will be watching this week's program about embedded journalists with great interest. However, I am doubtfull the series will truly capture what young soldiers talk and joke about above and beyond the war in which they find themselves.

Here is the link to Over There if interested. http://www.fxnetworks.com/shows/originals/overthere/main.html

DB

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i want to let you guys over there fighting for us over here that i love you all. we dont know each other but you risk your lives for me so that i can sit here and be a normal 17 year old girl. my name is ashton charles and i thank you from the bottom of my heart. may god bless you and bring you safely back to your familys and friends. xoxoxo

9:05 PM  
Blogger Combat Films said...

Thanks for your comment. I am certain that the men in women in military appreciate your sentiment. I hope I didn't miss lead anyone. I am not in the military but am a civilian and consider it a privealege to have worked with many different military units in both Afghanistan and Iraq. I firmly believe that 99% of the soldiers and Marines over there are doing a great job under extreme circumstances. Thanks again for your comment. Drop us a line anytime.

4:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home